Friday, August 15, 2014

Aadhi-Nadhan at Thiru-Kurugoor


Temple features:
Name of this place Thiru-Kurugoor
Deity in sanctum Aadhi-Nadhan
East facing standing pose
Consort of Vishnu in sanctum Aadhi-Nadhavalli Nachiyar
Deity for festivals Aadhipiran
Consort for festivals Kurugoorvalli Nachiyar
Tower is called Sri Govindha-vimanam
Holi tank Thambirabarani theertham, Brahma-theertham
Devotees who have seen the god here Namalzhwar ,Brahma, Sangan,Thanthan,
Madura-kavi alzhwar.

Devotional song sung on the deity   by Namalzhwar
 
Special merits of this temple: 
This Thirupathi is mentioned in Bramanda puran, Thantha-kshetram, Shesha-Kshetram and so on.
Shesha Kshetram says that 3 days before the end of Sri Rama-avatharam Ema-dharma visited Sri Rama. During this visit Rama had told Lakshmana that he should not allow any one inside the palace.Later Doorvasa came to see Rama wanting to see Rama before his end. Inspite of rama's instructions Lakshmana allowed Doorvasa to see Rama, being afraid of the sage's curse. Sri Rama gave a warm welcome to the sage and respectfully sent him off. Then Rama told Lakshmana " you did not care for my instructions not to send any one inside. Hence I give you a curse that you should become a tamarind tree in Varaha kshetram close to Thambirabarani." Lakshmana held Rama's legs and said " brother please forgive me I did not do any thing against your order but that sage is a very angry man. I did not want to get any of his curse at the end this avathar so I allowed him in " Rama understood his brother and hugged him. Rama said " Lakshmana I commited a big sin in this incarnation. Hence I have to be a statue for 16 years because I sent Sita alone to forest for 16 years. Then I will be free from the sin after 16 years. Untill then my statue will be in the hole in the tamarind tree that you will become."
Lakshmana agreed. Sri Rama gave him his ring and told him to go to Varaha kshetram. and further told him "when this ring falls in a place in the varaha ksetram you should be become a tree there. Later I will become a statue and sit in the tree hole. I will annihilate the 'non-believers' and develop devotion in men"

 
Om Sreem Narayanaya Namo Namaha
 
Location:
This temple is located about 10 kms from Thirunelveli in Tamilnadu.
Buses and taxis are 

available from Thirunelveli 
                                                 Home
                                                

No comments:

Post a Comment